Tuesday, September 23, 2014

African Pizza ~ September 24, 2014

How we make Pizza in Point Noire

     Part of learning how to adjust to being in a 3rd World Country as Senior Missionaries is to adapt what they have to eat with what you are used to eating.  This week I decided to make Elder Bailey a pizza. I have found that cooking is one of my favorite things to do.  I love to learn how to make African food, as well as bring a little "home cooking" to our everyday lives.  It just helps us to have a little "feel" of being home. 

     Before I left for our mission, my niece, Wendi, became a pampered chef consultant.  So I went to many parties and this is where I learned how to make pizza.  I brought many of my pampered chef utensils with me to Pointe Noire, and would suggest to any Senior Couple going on a mission to Africa, to bring things with you...... I especially love my special cutting knife, potato peeler, small spatula, french fry cutter, small food-processor that you work by hand, and my slicer-dicer.  These have made cooking a breeze.



I take about 1/4 cup of oil and mince a garlic into it.  Then I brush that on the dough and cook for 7 minutes.


This is an African zucchini.  They are white on the outside and green underneath.  


A closer look!


Next caramelize some onion in a little French Butter....... divine!




After taking out the dough from the oven, add the caramelized onions and the zucchini slices.



Tomatos are abundant now so I added those, green peppers and a little salt and pepper.


No mozzarella cheese as it is 9 dollars a pound.  So we have a little Guyere!  


The finished product!



We put some fresh avocados on top and VOILA! Our homemade African Pizza. 
Elder Bailey says it is definitely a "keeper".....

So another week has come and gone here in Pointe Noire.  We love our mission and each other and are so grateful for our time here to spread the "Good News" of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  

The Church is True!

Until next week....................
 

No comments:

Post a Comment